I guess you really do “do as the Romans do.” How cliché of me. You eat, sleep, and be merry. I feel very Italian when I am sitting in the piazza in front of the Pantheon, eating Gelato, and listening to a guy playing “Breakfast at Tiffany’s” on an electric guitar and proceeding to tip him with the Euro change I acquired from the itty-bitty grocery store I went to that morning around the corner from my apartment (that sits above a bar and two restaurants, by the way). That was all pretty epic for me.
But that's never the beginning. Why can't that just be the beginning?
Well, culture shock is a fun thing. I really agree with the concept. And missing people. Completely onboard for that as well. -_-
I couldn’t write anything about my trip until today because I was feeling pretty awful yesterday. The plane ride was actually really pleasant though. We had many movies to choose from and lots of random episodes of TV shows. I really couldn’t complain about the food either because we were served both dinner and breakfast, and I got two cups of tomato juice, three cups of water, and one cup of apple juice. I was provided a blanket and a pillow and was actually pretty happy about it all. Granted, this was my first international trip. I have never flown over water or been out of the States. This international travel thing was a new and rather cool world for me. I got to watch "Easy A" on a little personal TV right in front of me three times. Who can complain?
After arriving, going through customs was probably close to the easiest thing I’ve ever done in my life. I literally had to show my passport and walk through the fancy glass doors. I was expecting it to be a huge deal, but it was amazing how much it really wasn’t. Also, my luggage arrived in the same state as when I put it on the plane. No right to complain.
We then encountered all of the taxi drivers eager to assist us in leaving the airport. While we were told to get a taxi, a very Italian, white-haired, leather-coated man approached my traveling partner and me about taking his shuttle service. He was, in my opinion, more than just a little shifty, but we looked into it with him. We didn’t have to pay upfront, and it was only 40 Euros. We took it, and while the driver could not get us to my exact street because of its narrowness (he got close though), the entire ride went smoothly.
I then proceeded to fall on the cobblestone sidewalk as we are walking to my apartment and severely bruise and scratch up my knee and leg. I should win a prize or something.
Then we see my tiny apartment from its graffiti-filled door to its dark, sketchy hallways and my four-bolt door. I think I had a mini-heartache not only because my apartment is, in fact, rather tiny, but also because I fully realized I was in Italy. It was a terrifying moment that lasted the rest of the day.
I am ecstatic to say, however, that my Day 2 was infinitely better (as that scene at the beginning of this entry shows), and that while I will fully enjoy everything about Italy that I can while I am here, I am very much a “homebody.” I will very happy to return to the States.
Anyways, here are my top five highlights that I have learned about Rome in two days (mostly because I'm tired and ready for bed) :
1. You will run into any major monument if you are not looking for it. That’s a sign of how many there are in this city. On our first day, we had just come from the ATM and were trying to get back to our apartment. We *accidentally* ran into the Pantheon. How do you *accidentally* do that? We didn’t even realize that that was it until we had walked around 2/3rds of it! But man, was it amazing insideJ On our second day, we *accidentally* ran into the Tempietto of San Pietro. Maybe tomorrow, I’ll *accidentally* see St. Peter’s Basilica. Everything is THAT close to you.
| My First Picture in Roma :) |
2. Everyone drives the same car. It is rare to see any car that is not some sort of Smart car. You see them, but they look terribly out of place. And you know how in the US, you try and maneuver your picture-taking to make sure there aren’t any cars in the shot? Yeah, that’s impossible here. People park EVERYWHERE, and they really don’t care if you are walking on the sidewalk; if they want to drive there, then dammit, they will!
3. Euros make you feel like you are spending a lot less than you actually are. This is a very bad thing…my poor money…
4. They *really do* only eat pasta, pizza, and gelato here. You don’t really think that’s true until you see it firsthand. My last three meals have been a pizza (eh), ravioli (how very American of me), and spaghetti with bacon (and very good and not American tasting bacon by the way).
5. Every street, even with the graffiti, is the most picturesque thing you’ve ever seen.
| Can't beat that, can ya? |
Jillian! Oh my gosh, as i was reading this it felt like it was from a professional book about Rome or something. I can't believe you accidentally ran into the Pantheon! (ahhh, I wish I could do that every day)I'm sorry to hear about your knee, i hope it feels better. It was great to hear about your trip there, and your first couple adventures! I love the pictures too! Keep writing away on this thing!
ReplyDeleteLove you, stay safe, shoulders back!
If you didn't feel the culture shock, you wouldn't be normal! Keep up with the adventures! Also, when you're eating out- take note of what they call the meats and stuff there. I want to know how Italian these salami sticks are that my daddy sends me! Remember the Italian market in Seattle? Do they have those foods there? Yes...I want to know about the fooood! It's important to me. :)
ReplyDeleteLove,
Lizzy