Thursday, February 10, 2011

May the Force Be With You -- And Also With You

I’m not going lie. It is *awesome* to be Catholic and living in Italy, a country that is 95% (WHAT?!) Roman Catholic.

Ninety-five percent?!

I suppose it makes sense as I only live a short 30-minute walk (not even a drive—a walk!) from the Pope and his Vatican. I see priests, nuns, and people studying to become priests and nuns around every corner of this city. On our flight to Rome a month ago, there was a priest sitting in the front row of the plane. On our shuttle ride from the airport, there was a woman who was practicing to become a nun going to the Convent.

For the last three years, I have grown accustomed to being a part of the minority when it came to my faith. I know, maybe, two Catholics at my university. While the population may be significantly greater than I realize, Catholicism is not the “go to” religion in my area. I’m not saying it’s an issue for me, but it is honestly very surreal to go from seeing *no* Catholic churches to seeing one on every corner.   

And to try and possibly pick one to go to? How could I ever pick just one?


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Basilica di San Giovanni Battista dei Fiorentini
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




Santa Pudenziana 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~




S. Giovanni in Laterano
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Chiesa S. Maria Della Pace
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~



Church of St. Sebastian 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Should be interesting to see the Vatican on Easter Sunday. Three-million people in attendance?

Bring. It.



1 comment:

  1. I'm not even Catholic, and i think Easter Sunday at the Vatican would be awesome! It was also fun looking at those pictures cause i was like. . .ohh i know that one. . .and then you'd have a caption on it, and i would be like. . . ohh i got it right! lol. I'm a nerd. I think my first church experience in Rome would have to be the Pantheon. I've heard it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete